Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Backyard BBQ Inspiration {Part 2} - Build-Your-Own Shortcakes + FREE Printables

Are you ready for part 2 of my backyard bbq inspiration shoot?  Don't miss part 1 featuring the seated table & food buffet.  
This post includes the dessert table and welcome table - a great beginning and ending to your party!

I thought it would be fun to do a build-your-own-shortcake station and include fresh summer berries and those little sponge cakes that make them so easy to put together.  Raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries are all delicious and your guests can pick whichever they like.  I love finding unique items and re-purposing them for food service.  Just remember to line them with a napkin, parchment paper, or fabric to insure food safety.  This 3-tiered storage container was found at Hobby Lobby and I love that the chalk board labels are built right in.  
A can of whipped cream is wrapped in the same paper that I used for the snack cones (below), which also coordinates with the fabric patterns I used.  In order to tie in all the different areas, I used the same fabric over and over in different ways: a rag swag used on the buffet table (2-tiered server), napkin pockets on the tabletop, a fabric flower attached to the box on the dessert table, and another rag swag at the welcome table.    
I bought the retro-style cracker jack boxes from Cracker Barrel!  I knew I wanted to use them but couldn't find them anywhere!  Luckily I discovered an article by someone (thanks Google) who found them at Cracker Barrel.  Funny thing is they make only a minor appearance here, but I was Obsessed with finding them!  They make great takeaway favors for your guests.

I believe in having a "welcome" table at a party, especially when you're outside and have wide open space.  Bring an indoor table outside and set up a sign and snack cones filled with chips.  Pre-made cones make it much easier to have a snack than looking around for a centrally located bowl.  I used an old soda crate to display the cones and tied a mini fabric swag across the front.
Use some outdoor game paraphernalia as part of the decor.  Here I just placed a couple of crocket balls in a wire basket. 
Speaking of games, our favorite thing to do is play bocce ball or corn hole.  You don't need a lot of space for these, nor will you exert yourself too much while playing.

Well, that's my summertime bbq inspiration!  I hope you'll get some ideas to try at your next cookout, and don't forget to download your FREE printables here, courtesy of Paper & Pigtails.  They will get you started on a stylish bash!

As part of Backyard BBQ week, visit these other experts for more summer entertaining ideas.


15 comments:

Moore Minutes said...

What a fun idea! Perfect.

Jen said...

I love the way you put together this Memorial Day BBQ!

Christie said...

Lovin' this, too! Thanks for the inspiration! I am ready for a Memorial Day BBQ! Christie at Three Pixie Lane

Kori Clark said...

What can I say...I am a SUCKER for shortcake! It looks amazing and so creative!

Brittany Schwaigert said...

I have that amazing little galvanized 3 tier too and I love it!!!

Yvette @ AquaSeventy6 said...

I need this for my first Richmond 4th of July! :) Great job!!!!

Kristy {the purple pug} said...

I love every last detail. Especially adore the handmade touches. And the taffy. And the shortcake idea. And the Cracker Jack. Fabulous!

Melissa N. said...

Exceptional! I wanted to know where you got the fan circles from. I love them!

Sandy said...

Chris, love this all. Really fun. We usually have a big 4th bash! :)

Chris @ Celebrations At Home said...

'Melismama' I found the printed fans at the Dollar Tree! How great is that! ; D
The red ones I already had, leftover from Valentines stock at Michael's.

Unknown said...

LOVE IT! How freakin' clever are those chips! I need to use them! I may have to get those fans too! Chris you out do yourself everytime! Thanks for the inspiration!

Leslie said...

What a beautiful display! I love the paper cones in the crate and the metal cloches!

Enchanted Expectations said...

Love it all. Such great inspiration

Marci Coombs said...

I absolutely adore all of this and am posting a link to it from my blog. Beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing!

marcicoombs.blogspot.com

Chris @ Celebrations At Home said...

Thank you all! I'm so glad you like it, and that it has inspired some of you! : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...